Thursday, August 21, 2008

Clubbin': Cedar Style.

Obvious Fact Of The Day: When you act like an idiot in front of freshly graduated youngsters, you're going to get made fun of. Just expect it.

Today for our lovely required orientation stuff, we had to get into our UNIV groups. For those of you that have no idea what that means, it's basically just dividing us up into the classes that we will be in when school starts next week. Yeah, intense right? Right. So basically, this split all my friends from each other and forced us to sit with our new friends. Excellent friend making opportunity here, kids. Well, I made a buddy...his name is Justin. Apparently he is not only in my UNIV class, but also in my Criminal Justice class. Fantastic! Someone I will know on Monday! Good news, that one is. Anyway, the "class" this morning was basically the Peer Mentors telling us about all the things they wished they had known as Freshman. Granted, some of it was very educational (10% off at participating stores around town with my Student ID? NO WAY!). But seriously kids, we're Freshmen. Not 7th graders. You don't need to talk to us like we know nothing. We made it into the university, doesn't that mean we are at least smart enough to...I don't know...tie our shoes and make ourselves breakfast in the morning? Fantastic. Glad we're on the same page. Can you see how sarcasm during this whole event was virtually inevitable? Luckily, my group got to escape the tour of important places and get in line early to dinner. It wasn't the best food I have ever had in my life, but free food? I'm there. Starving college student, remember?

Probably the best part of this week so far was the Club Fair. It was a bunch of tables set up on the Business Quad where all the Clubs got to try and recruit the Freshmen to join. Des, Kylee, Scott, and myself all wandered around the tables and signed up for at LEAST 7 clubs. I'm not even exaggerating. But at the SUU Student Association (SUUSA) table, we met Scott's friend from high school. His name is Wes and he is such a funny kid. He already makes fun of me for my stupidity. It's like we have been best friends for years. He is a member of StAB (Student Activities Board) and convinced us to sign up and help with SUU's activities. We then were ushered to another SUUSA table for the ThorCorps: the University's version of SuperFans. Here we met a rather good looking fellow named Cody. Now there is a born recruiter if I ever met one. All he did was give us a few hugs and soon our names were on the paper. And because of this, of course, Scott has taken it upon himself to make fun of me everytime Cody is within proximity of us...just to make things relatively awkward. Fantastic.

No comments: