Sunday, August 24, 2008

Faith Is Like A Little Seed...Or Drop Of Gas.

Obvious Fact Of The Day: Your car needs gas to go places.

So today I pretty much only had time to go to Sacrament meeting. After that, my dad and I came home to fix up Jorge before I took him back to Cedar with me. I cleaned Jorge inside and out...the whole she-bang. Vacuuming, dusting, window cleaning, scrubbing down. He looked so splendid and dad assured me that my speedometer was fixed and that I should have no problems with my "Service Engine Soon" light coming on any time soon. So I gathered my clean laundry and other items to take back with me and went to Desi's house to pick up some stuff she forgot. I drove to Kylee's house, helped her load her items into the trunk, and we were back on our way to Cedar. We didn't have to pick up Scott because he was driving his sister's car up for her, which was totally fine with me. More off-key singing and boy discussions for us. And less embarrassment for crying at a gas station. (Whoa...nice cliff hanger there!)

Ok, it was a small cliff. Not much to hang off. So, background of this story: studies have shown that Jorge can make a trip from Riverton to Cedar (and vice versa) using only 3/4 of a tank of gas. Which is pretty good for a 10-gallon tank in my opinion. So, when we left Riverton with a bit more than 3/4 of a tank still in Jorge, I didn't think there was a problem. Apparently, when you speed...you use more gas. After passing Beaver (the only exit with gas for about...35-40 miles), my gas light came on. Now, I didn't start panicking immediately. I mean...in the valley, there are exits with gas everywhere. Why not down here? Well, that's just the way it is. So after going about 10 under the speed limit for about 15 miles with no exits, my eyes started gluing themselves to my gas gauge. I saw a sign saying that the Kanab exit was in one mile and I thought to myself, "I have a friend that lives in Kanab! There's got to be gas where people live!" And you know, there probably is...if only Kanab wasn't 96 miles away from the I-15 exit. That's when I started seriously panicking. Kylee and I both started praying really hard that we would make it. She kept telling me that she was sure we would be ok. She could feel that we were going to be safe. I wasn't feeling quite the same. I couldn't help but think of all the terrible things that could happen to two girls stranded in the middle of nowhere on the side of the freeway at 11 at night. Can you blame me? It's scary stuff. But Kylee insisted that we would be fine and she even asked a friend she was texting to pray for us. He agreed with Kylee and said he had a strong feeling we would be fine. I decided that I was going to pray until I felt the same way. Its funny because when you think you are on the brink of danger, you seem to make all sorts of strange promises to God. For example, in this situation, I was praying so hard, staring at the gas gauge, promising God that if he let me make it to a gas station, I would totally give a talk on it in church. Yeah, I was going all-in with my promises. This was serious stuff. And what's strange is my gas gauge turned into a kind of faith-ometer. It seemed like the more I believed that we would be ok, the further away it would be from the "E". But the second I doubted, I watched it dip dangerously into the red. And I'm not just saying this for dramatic effect. It was really happening. Kylee saw it too.

We pulled into a gas station about 20 minutes later. Whether I was crying tears of joy for making it alive or because I now had to speak in church, I don't know. All I know is that there is no way that Jorge could have gone 40 miles on fumes. That's just not going to happen. If that's not a faith building experience...then I don't know what is!

No comments: