Saturday, August 23, 2008

Now Serving: Cedar City.

Obvious Fact Of The Day: A free XL t-shirt for everyone is not motivation enough to get people to want to do service for the community. It's rather effective in providing motivation not to go out in public though.

Prepare yourself for a rather long blog entry. Today was a long one. This morning, all the Freshmen were required to show up to a service project...wearing XL t-shirts that were provided for us. Fantastic. My sleeves went past my elbows, and the rest of it was long enough to be a pretty modest dress. I'm little and compact, and it felt like I was wandering around in a trash sack. But no worries. My group went to the Children's Justice Center to do some yardwork for them. It actually ended up being pretty fun, despite the fact that I was sick the whole time. You'd think that surgery would fix the problem, wouldn't you? Anyway...I made some new friends that will for sure be in a couple of my classes. Their names are Allie and Nikki. Nikki is actually in 3 of my classes so that's pretty cool too. On the walk home, Allie and I met Dallon and Jordan. They are pretty funny kids so I'm excited to have some classes with them and their sarcasm. Too bad I skipped the dance...we could have had some special bonding moments.

Why did I skip the dance you ask? Because I was heading home for the weekend to trade Bucky out for Jorge!! I brought Kylee and Scott with me on this home adventure, dropping Scott off in Nephi at his house. Good thing, too because I got pulled over for "inproper use of the left-hand passing lane" (stupid cop...I was being courteous to him!), which would have been real bad if Scott was still sitting in the back without a seatbelt. Anyway...after I took Ky-sizzle home, I returned home myself. I started a load of laundry that I brought with me (what? The washer and dryer at my apartment are SO small!) and took a shower. I asked Emma to put some cookies in the oven for me and got myself presentable-looking. The best part of the whole day was when I went to surprise Russ. He had no idea I was coming home this weekend (ok, I did have to lie to him a little bit. He asks so many questions.) so it was pretty exciting. I took a plate of cookies and drove out to his house all sneaky like and texted him when I got there. It said something to the effect of "Oh...by the way...I arranged for a surprise to be left on your doorstep and I have been informed that it is there now." Naturally, he was confused and told me he would go check. Of course, I was standing on his porch with cookies in hand. He was so surprised! It was wonderful!

No comments: