Friday, August 22, 2008

It's The End Of The World As We Know It...

Obvious Fact Of The Day: Just because you CAN speak without any censor...doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD.

Today the congregation of Freshman was more an assembly than a class...meaning it didn't require us filling out an assignment on what we learned afterward. Yep...you heard me. We actually got to sit back, relax, and enjoy the performances from various student organizations. But riddle me this: why have the clubs show off their stuff AFTER the sign-ups? Does this make sense to anyone? Because if so, please share with the class. To wrap up that brilliance, the Peer Mentors took it upon themselves to perform some lovely skits...minus the lovely part. They all were supposed to be about adapting to college life and being able to say no...but also yes. I think. It was kinda hard to figure out the exact message behind most of them. One, for example, was about drinking at a party. They seemed to start to say that you should say no to alcohol...but then went into how it was ok if you only had a little. Wonderful message. Thanks for that insight. But sadly, this was not the extent to their skits. I would have you guess what the finale was, but I don't know if you would be able to get it right on the nose. Hence, I'm going to tell you...but don't worry...I'll censor it. I still know how, after all. The short version is, two perspectives on what happened at a party: the guy who had a bit to drink and was lookin' for some lovin' (like McLovin?), and the girl that had a bit too much to drink and was all for an alcohol-related make out session. The problem? They had sex. To him it was consentual...to her, it was rape. So, now that you know the short version...tell me, is it really necessary to give DETAILS on how this all went down? I vote the answer is no. Too bad they don't listen to Freshmen....

After dinner, we got to go to a "class" for about an hour. It was actually relatively good...it had a good message and wasn't scary like the skits we got to enjoy. Ok...except the part where she wrapped up the lesson with telling us that she's a lesbian. Could have done without that part, but seriously, I'm pretty sure nothing could have been worse than the detailed rape scene. Luckily, that was our last class of the day, so Des, Kylee, and I went to Scott's apartment for some better food than we were treated to earlier. We met his roommates Weston, Chance, Austen, and Bryan. Well, actually we just met the first two. We already knew Austen and Bryan from high school. But hey, it was lovely seeing them again. And before I end this, I just have to say that Weston is probably the most prepared college student I have ever met. Course, the credit should go to his mom...but still. I swear he has every appliance in existance and a year's supply of food in his apartment already. If the end of the world happens to befall us while I'm here...I'm so going to Apartment 45.

No comments: